Saturday, November 12, 2016

I have finally processed my thoughts on the election and....

Anyone who is not a straight white man is TERRIFIED for their life right now, because every single person who is not male, not white, and not straight has been verbally abused by the President elect. They have already been getting beaten, terrorized, and threatened in his name. The only policies I have seen of his (apparently released in late October but given ZERO attention from the media) still support racism. Anyone that is not a straight white male has EVERY reason to be terrified. Anyone considering sharing that they are not Christian, not straight, that they too have experienced sexual assault, or questioning their gender has now had a giant train slammed into their face telling them they need to keep it to themselves in fear that someone will attack them for it. The country has already been mentally abused by this man and the citizens are very wary of what will happen next. 

Our society has already made sexual assault acceptable and even discrimination acceptable. What we have seen from Trump thus far promises worse treatment. His policies also make those, even the straight white males, who live in poverty terrified. His tax break for companies and the wealthy will further the wage gap and put the poor further into poverty. I currently earn poverty-level wages. I use Obamacare and am on Food Stamps. He wants to get rid of the ACA. For those who know, know that I NEED insurance. I trip over forklifts for Dumbledore's sake! I NEED that protection because my job does not provide it. Trump being president means that I may not have health care next year. I have ongoing medical care for my asthma that needs to be covered. I am still searching for a diagnosis as to why my body thinks my thyroid is a virus and is attacking it. If I don't get diagnosed and treated in the next 6 weeks, I may come back from India paying thousands of dollars out of pocket. If I get sick in India, I may not be able to take care of myself. But those are small problems when you look at the amount of people diagnosed with cancer, with seizures, with Parkinsons, with so many incurable diseases. They are all TERRIFIED that they will die next year because the President-elect wants to take away their healthcare. 

The 2016 uninsured rate remains at an all time low with the uninsured rate at 11.9% for Americans 18 – 64 and 8.6% for all Americans.  Less than 9% of all Americas do NOT have health coverage.  But that is a number we have NEVER seen before! It is AMAZING what President Obama has done for us in his 8 years of office.  That small number is what everyone hoped for, since medical costs have risen so much.  Earlier this year, I had knee surgery.  But it was considered a minor knee surgery - I went to get surgery and was home within 4 hours.  But that procedure cost over $14,000! That should be the cost of a total knee replacement! It is actually, if you travel to Asia.  In America, a total knee replacement could cost you $70,000! That is $20,000 MORE THAN THE AVERAGE AMERICAN SALARY!!!! FOR ONE YEAR!

My point is - people are terrified for their lives.  THAT is why everyone is so upset about Trump winning the election.  They fear for their lives because they are different.  It's almost as if we have figured out how to travel back in time when SEGREGATION was rampant and people were ALLOWED TO OWN SLAVES STILL! That is NOT a great America.  That is an America of the past that should NEVER be brought again.  America is already great because America cares. America is a melting pot where anyone from anywhere can get a second chance at life. THAT is what makes America great.  

But really, if we want to get rid of all of the illegal immigrants..... we should start with the white people, because they took this country from the Native Americans and have disrespected and ruined their country.  White people still are doing so, and I am SO ashamed to call myself an American after 2016.  We have HORRIBLE to our own people, to the people whose land we stole, and to the rest of the world. 

So while I am not happy with who our President-elect is, I know that he is the president that we deserve, because we have treated everything like shit.  This really drills down the moral lesson of treat others the way you want to be treated - it will eventually come back to bite you in the ass.

So, until next time--

No comments:

Post a Comment