Sunday, September 11, 2016

The Sound of Silent Hands

It has been 15 years.
I was in 6th grade science class with Mrs. Tavares, another student, Christopher told her to stop and not turn off the tv, as we had finished a VCR about something sciencey. He was from New York. He knew the image of the twin towers. We didn't realize that it was live tv.  But once Mrs. Tavares realized it, she couldn't move, only watch in terror.  At the bottom of the screen, which was showing live footage of the twin towers being destroyed, to a classroom of 11 year olds, was information scrolling about other attacks happening across the Northeast.
I felt safer, knowing that we were in South Florida, and that there was not a reason for them to attack us.  But I was still a few months from being 12 years old.  I didn't know how serious the situation was.  I couldn't understand why we had to keep everyone in the same classroom for such a long time, why we didn't have to do classwork. I knew everyone was scared, I knew I was scared by proxy, but I just wanted to get to art class so that I could work out my emotions the only way I knew how.  I eventually got to do so, but I also was very sad.  I couldn't understand why someone would do that.  I didn't blame Islam, though.  I blamed those individuals. I wanted to do something, and for years after, even now, I have played with the idea of joining the military to fight for my country.  The one that was attacked with, as far as I can tell, no prompting.
But things have changed in the past 15 years.  More animosity and hate is spread around to all.  In 6th grade, I was friends with a Muslim girl, a black girl, a black boy, a Jewish boy, a bi-sexual boy, a lesbian, and all sorts of other kids. We didn't see a difference in each others skin color, heritage, religion, or sexual preferences. We just saw who was a dance kid, who was a theatre kid, who was a visual arts kid, who played an instrument.  That's how we were 'divided' but even that didn't stop us.
It's still how I view the world. All of these labels that cause so much hate are unnecessary.  They only cause more pain and strife and hatred.  Why can't the guy walking down the street be just a dancer, or just an artist, or just a band geek? Why can't the girl driving next to jamming to rap music just be the dancer with curly hair, or the theatre soprano?
Why do we have to justify each other and our hatred with pointing out skin color or religious markers? Why can't just accept that we harbor some hatred and then try to change that feeling? Why do we have to feed it? Why do we have to build up the hatred? Why can't we just love each other?
For those that quote the bible.... why can't you remember that rule that Jesus made up - forget the commandments, this is my only commandment - love one another.
Why is love so hard for everyone?
EVERYONE is pained by remembering the travesty from 15 years ago.  But there is a whole new generation that wasn't even alive when it happened.  Every child in grade school either can't remember it because they were 3 years old or younger, or weren't even born yet.  Why are we teaching them hate? Why can't we teach them love?
But whats painful is that on this day of remembrance, on this day of reflection, people are still attacking each other.  They think that an image of the twin towers will offend some people, namely Islamic people and Muslims.  But the thing is, that is not true for most of that population.  What offends them is that you think they were not affected either.
Even more painful is that, 3 months ago, in my city of Orlando - more hatred caused more death and even more pain.  49 angels will never be seen again, and finally, the 50+ survivors are all home.  But some people have already forgotten that travesty too. They are back to pushing political rhetoric about how love is really only between a man and woman.  They are so very wrong.
Ask any child, just like I knew back when I was 11, that anyone can love anyone.  That we should all love each other, that we just need to focus on the love, not the hate.
Today is a huge whirl of emotions all over this amazing country, but people are still lashing out.  People are still angry.  And even though it is 15 years later, I STILL can't understand how so much hate and anger can be harboured by so many people.
Even those who follow other religions know that love is number 1 - taking care of others, being good and nice is what should be default. I just struggle so much with wrapping my head around the idea of such angry people that they can only attack, not uplift.
As I reflect, and can remember nearly every detail where I was during both tragedies, what sticks out most, is that I tried to show my love for others as much as I could.  The attacks of September 11, 2001 cemented the idea that I just want to help others and let them know they are loved.   The attack of June 12, 2016 reminded me of that, and has pushed me forward in my mission to show love and not hate.
I hope that everyone can find it in their hearts to show only love, even if only for this one day.

If you would like some help with that, just watch these two videos/listen to these songs:
https://youtu.be/3iy2L9VeUfc (Sound of Silence by Disturbed, 9/11 video)
https://youtu.be/tnumaX_EJhE (Hands, tribute song for Orlando, GLAAD lyric video)

So, until next time--

No comments:

Post a Comment